The Enzoni Cocktail is a true modern classic that is sure to impress your guests! This gin based drink is perfect for any occasion, and is a fun and delicious take on some of your favorite classic cocktails!
In this article, we will discuss the history of the Enzoni Cocktail, as well as how to make it yourself. So, if you are looking for a new cocktail to add to your repertoire, then be sure to give the Enzoni Cocktail a try. It is easy to make and it tastes great!
What is an Enzoni Cocktail?
The Enzoni is a gin-based cocktail that was created in the early 2000s. It is a modern play on the classic Negroni or Gin Sour. It is a wonderful blend of alcohol, fresh grapes, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
The Enzoni Cocktail is expertly garnished with fresh green grapes, and is served chilled.
History of the Enzoni Cocktail
The Enzoni was created in the early 2000s by bartender Vincenzo Errico, while he was working at the famed Milk & Honey bar in New York City. This was one of the newly crafted cocktail recipes that offer a new twist on some of our favorite classic cocktails.
The Enzoni Cocktail quickly became a favorite among bartenders and cocktail enthusiasts alike. It is now a very popular cocktail around the world, and is quickly making waves among the drink community.
Vincenzo also the created of the increasingly popular Red Hook.
What Does it Taste Like?
It has a unique flavor that is both tart and sweet. The lemon juice and the fresh grapes give it a wonderfully refreshing flavor, while the gin provides a nice juniper-forward taste.
- Gin – For this recipe we recommend you use a London dry gin, such as Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire, but any quality gin will taste amazing in this drink.
- Campari – This is an iconic Italian bitter alcohol that gives the drink it’s bright red color.
- Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice is always best option for cocktails and will take it to the next level of tastiness.
- Green Grapes – You will need fresh, seedless grapes for this recipe. These are used both as a main ingredient and as a garnish.
- Simple Syrup – This sugary mixture helps to balance out the tartness and adds a touch of sweetness. Can’t find simple syrup, well it’s easy to make at home. Just heat equal parts water and sugar in a pot until fully dissolved, let cool and enjoy!
Bar Tools Needed
- Cocktail Shaker – This is used to mix all of the ingredients together and help to properly chill the drink. A cocktail shaker is a must have for any bar collection.
- Jigger or Measuring Cup – Ensure that you are adding the correct amount of each ingredient to create the perfectly balanced masterpiece.
- Cocktail Strainer (Hawthorne Strainer) – This helps to strain out the ice and grape pulp from the drink. If you have a cocktail shaker that has a built in strainer, than this is not needed.
- Rocks Glass – The rocks glass is one of the most versatile cocktail glasses, so we recommend to always have some on hand.
- Muddler – This is used to press or muddle grapes to release their juice and extract their wonderful flavor. The muddler is a versitile bar tool that is most commonly used in the famous Mojito.
- Cocktail Skewers – You will need these to skewer the grapes for a expert level garnish.
How to Make an Enzoni Cocktail (3 Easy Steps)
Now that you know what is in the cocktail, let’s learn how to make it with these 3 simple to follow instructions:
- First, muddle the grapes in a cocktail shaker to release the juices and gently break up the skins.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients into a cocktail. Shake with ice vigorously for about 30 seconds, until well mixed and chilled.
- Strain into a ice filled rocks glass, garnish with skewered grapes, and enjoy!
Here are a few pro tips to help make your Enzoni Cocktail even better:
- If you don’t have a muddler, you can use the back of a wooden spoon to press the grapes.
- If you don’t have simple syrup, you can use honey or agave nectar as a substitute.
- For an extra refreshing twist, add a couple of drops of grapefruit bitters to the drink.
If you enjoyed the Enzoni, then you will definetly want to try one of these similar cocktail recipes:
- Negroni – This classic cocktail is made with gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth.
- Americano – Another classic cocktail that is very similar, it is made with Campari, sweet vermouth, and club soda.
- Boulevardier – A bourbon based cocktail that is made with Campari and sweet vermouth.
- Gin Sour – This classic favorite is made with gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
Enzoni Cocktail Recipe
Enzoni Cocktail Recipe: Delicious Modern Classic
- Cocktail Shaker
- Hawthorne Strainer
- Rocks Glass
- Cocktail Skewer
- 1 oz Gin Dry
- 1 oz Campari
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice Fresh
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- 7 Green Grapes (2 for garnish)
- Add 5 Grapes to Cocktail Shaker and Muddle Until Juice is Released and Skin is Gently Broken
- Add Gin, Campari, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup and Ice to Cocktail Shaker
- Shake Vigorously Until Ingredients are Well Mixed and Chilled (Around 30 Seconds)
- Strain into Ice Filled Rocks Glass
- Garnish with Skewered Grapes and Enjoy!
Final Cocktail Thoughts
The Enzoni Cocktail is a true modern masterpiece that is sure to be a classic for many years to come!
A refreshing, flavorful, and easy to make beverage that is sure to delight your taste buds. Whether you are a seasoned bartending professional or a home cocktail enthusiast, this is one of the recipes that you will want to add to your repertoire. So, grab your ingredients, invite some friends over, and enjoy this delicious cocktail!
Other Must Try Cocktails
If you loved the Enzoni, you will want to try this original classic. This variation with sweet vermouth is sure to please the senses!
With it’s lawless roots, having been created during prohibition, this classic whiskey cocktail will brighten any party.
A nice light and refreshing cocktail, the Campari Spritz is perfect for any occasion.