Looking for a festive holiday drink? Need a little escape to the islands during the frigid winter months? Look no further than the Jack Frost Cocktail! This delicious drink recipe is perfect for any occasion, and it’s easy to make at home.
In this article, we will share the recipe for how to make the Jack Frost Cocktail, as well as some tips on how to perfect it. So get ready to celebrate in style with this beautiful drink!
What is a Jack Frost Cocktail?
The Jack Frost Cocktail is a fun, refreshing drink that is perfect for any holiday occasion including Christmas or any winter holiday party.
The recipe includes vodka or light rum, pineapple juice, Blue Curacao, and cream of coconut.
The combination of the light blue color and the shredded coconut rim make a beautiful cocktail that is sure to chase your winter blues away!
What is a frost drink?
This type of drink gets its name from the way it looks when it’s served – like a frosty winter landscape.
This Jack Frost drink is one of the most popular frost drinks out there and the balance of pineapple juice, blue curacao, and coconut make it super delicious and reminiscent of everyone’s favorite holiday character. Think of it like a frosty and wintry Pina Colada. Yum!
History of this Popular Winter Cocktail
The Jack Frost Cocktail is believed to have originated in the 1970s, but it’s possible that it was created earlier.
It’s a classic tiki drink that has made a comeback in recent years. Regardless of it’s origin, it is a delicious and thirst-quenching winter cocktail that is perfect for any occasion.
Jack Frost Cocktail Ingredients
The Jack Frost drink is a simple recipe using the following ingredients:
- Vodka – You can use your vodka of choice or whatever you have on hand.
- Blue Curacao – This ingredient is what gives the Jack Frost Cocktail its beautiful blue color. Blue Curacao is a type of orange liqueur.
- Pineapple Juice – We like to use 100% pure and fresh pineapple juice. If you want to make a light version, you can use no sugar added juice.
- Cream of Coconut – This is not coconut milk, but rather a thick and sweet cream made from coconut .
- Coconut Flakes – These give the cocktails a frosty and festive rim. They are a fun addition that take this drink from great to unforgettable.
- Corn Syrup – This is a crucial ingredient to help the coconut flakes stick.
- Ice – Slowly add ice to the blender until you reach the desired consistency.
Do I have to use vodka in a Jack Frost Cocktail?
No, you don’t have to use vodka to make this a delicious cocktail. You can use a light rum or coconut rum instead of vodka if you prefer. It is not as sweet as the rum, but either one would work for this recipe.
Does Blue Curacao have alcohol?
Yes, Blue Curacao does contain alcohol and has an alcohol content between 15 and 20 percent. It is a liqueur made from the dried peel of the laraha citrus fruit, which is native to the island of Curaçao and the liqueur is typically blue in color. It has a sweet and bitter flavor, and is often used in cocktails.
Do I have to use light corn syrup or simple syrup?
If you don’t have these types of syrup, don’t worry! You can also use honey. Just keep in mind that honey has a sweeter taste than corn syrup or simple syrup, so you may need adjust the amount of honey you use in the recipe accordingly.
How do you make a Jack Frost Cocktail (4 Easy Steps)
Making a Jack Frost Cocktail couldn’t be any easier! Just follow these 4 easy steps to make one unforgettable winter cocktail:
- To prepare the glass rim, first, pour corn syrup into a small bowl or plate. Then, in another small bowl, pour a layer of the coconut flakes. Dip the rim of the glass into the layer of corn syrup, then dip it into the coconut flakes to coat.
- In a blender, combine the vodka, Blue Curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the prepared drink into the your rimmed glass.
How long does it take to make?
The recipe has a short prep time and it is easy to make, which is perfect for when you’re entertaining. It only takes about five minutes to make one drink and you will want to serve immediately.
So go ahead and make a few, because your guests will be coming back for more!
Here are just a few tips to help you make this recipe perfectly:
- If you’re using vodka, we recommend a high-quality spirit like Grey Goose. This will ensure that no “off” flavors are added into the drink.
- The Blue Curaco is what gives this Jack Frost drink its beautiful blue hue, but be careful not to use too much – a little goes a long way!
- For the best flavor, we recommend you use fresh pineapple juice or 100% pure pineapple juice. Avoid using a juice blend.
- Don’t confuse cream of coconut with coconut milk! Cream of coconut is a thick, creamy, and sweet ingredient that can be found in the international aisle of your grocery store, or you can order it online. It makes this colada cocktail.
- A good bartender knows that a decorated glass makes a big difference. The coconut flakes make this recipe extra special. It is a step that can be omitted and adds to the prep time but we highly recommend it to achieve that attractive winter cocktail.
- A thin layer of corn syrup is all you need to add the shredded coconut to the rim. You can also use other thick liquids like honey, simple syrup, or maple syrup, but they will add a different taste.
- Be prepared with all ingredients for the recipe so you can serve immediately and cold.
What type of glasses should I use?
For a frozen Jack Frost Cocktail, we recommend using coupe, rocks, or hurricane glasses. If you are making shaken cocktails, then a martini glass is the way to go.
How to Prepare the Glasses
The coconut flakes on the rim look just like snow. To get the flakes to stick, you will need to use syrup. We prefer light corn syrup, but you can also use simple syrup or honey.
Simply pour a little syrup on a plate and spread it around to create an even layer. Then, take the rim and lower it into the syrup so that the entire rim is coated. Next, rotate the rim through the coconut flakes so that they stick to the syrup. Set the glasses aside and let the syrup dry.
If you loved the classic version, but would like a smoother drink or a non-alcoholic version for any occasion, you should try one of these versions:
Martini Jack Frost Drink Version:
- First, pour your syrup of choice into a small bowl or plate. Then, in another small bowl, pour a layer of coconut flakes. To prepare, dip the rim into the syrup, then dip it into the coconut flakes to coat.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and strain into your prepared glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge or cherry (optional), and enjoy!
Can you make this a non-alcoholic drink?
Yes! Simply omit the vodka/light rum and use non-alcoholic Blue Curacao. Not required, but you can try replacing the alcohol with one of these alcohol-free spirits here.
You can still garnish the glass with corn syrup and shredded coconut to make a gorgeous and refreshing mocktail!
What to serve with a Jack Frost Winter Cocktail?
This cocktail is the perfect holiday drink, and it pairs well with appetizers or Christmas desserts including:
- Shrimp cocktail
- Crab cakes
- Cheese platter
- Holiday cookies
- Yule log cake
No matter what food is served with it, it is a fun cocktail that we know will impress your friends and family!
Jack Frost Cocktail Recipe
Jack Frost Cocktail - Winter Holiday Favorite
- Bowl and Plate (Used to Rim Glass)
- Measuring Jigger
- Rocks Glass
- 2 oz Vodka (or Light Rum)
- 4 oz Pineapple Juice Fresh
- 2 oz Blue Curaçao
- 2 oz Cream of Coconut
- Corn Syrup (garnish)
- Coconut Flakes (garnish)
- 1 cup Ice
- On Separate Plates, Add Small Layer of Corn Syrup and Coconut Flakes
- Place Rim of Glass in Corn Syrup and Lightly Roll Around Until Rim is Coated
- Next, Roll Rim of Glass in Coconut Flakes Until Evenly Coated
- Add Vodka, Pineapple Juice, Blue Curaçao, Cream of Coconut, and Ice to Blender
- Blend Until Smooth (Add Ice as Needed)
- Pour into Glass and Enjoy!
Final Cocktail Thoughts
Now that you know all about the Jack Frost Cocktail recipe, it’s time to make one for yourself! Want to impress your guests with some delicious drinks? This frost cocktail is easy to make at home and is perfect for any holiday/Christmas party or winter occasion. Enjoy the holidays in style with some Jack Frost cocktails! Cheers!
Party Drinks You Must Try!
This fun adult take on everyone’s favorite childhood cocktail will make a lasting impression on your guests.
A nice and refreshing blend of fresh fruits, juices, and alcohol. This is the perfect party drink to make in large batches.
If you are looking for a nice, light, and refreshing cocktail for any occasion, then you will definitely want to give this a try.