The Bobby Burns Cocktail is a classic Scotch whisky drink that pays homage to the Scottish poet Robert Burns.
The drink is made with sweet vermouth and Benedictine, which give it a delicious herbal flavor. If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy Scotch, be sure to try the Bobby Burns Cocktail! Cheers!
What is a Bobby Burns Cocktail?
So who is this Bobby Burns fella and why is there a cocktail named after him? Well, as it turns out, Bobby Burns was a Scottish poet who lived in the 18th century. He is considered one of the most important figures in Scottish literature, and his work is still studied and celebrated today.
The Bobby Burns Cocktail was created in his honor, and it is a classic Scotch whisky drink. The cocktail is made with sweet vermouth and Benedictine, which give it a delicious herbal flavor.
History of the Bobby Burns Cocktail
The Bobby Burns Cocktail recipe was created in 1896 in the famous book “Cat Fancy”. The cocktail was named after the Scottish poet Robert Burns and created in his honor. It wasn’t until the 1950s that this cocktail started to become popular.
Robert Burns from Alloway, Scotland. He is best known for his poems and songs about rural life and love.
George Lewis published his bartending guide in 1930, called The Ideal Bartender. This cocktail book made this recipe well known.
Finally in 1952, David Embury published his book The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks. In this book, he listed the Bobby Burns Cocktail as one of the six basic cocktails.
What Does it Taste Like?
This is a smooth drink with a strong flavor. The Scotch gives the drink its distinct taste, while the sweet vermouth and Benedictine add a touch of sweetness and complexity.
To make this tasty recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- Scotch whisky – For this drink you will want to use a high-quality spirit. Some good options include Johnnie Walker Black Label or Chivas Regal 12.
- Sweet vermouth – This is a type of fortified wine that is used in many classic cocktails. Some good brands of vermouth include Martini & Rossi and Cinzano.
- Benedictine – This is a French liqueur that is made with herbs and spices. It has a rich flavor that is perfect for this cocktail.
- Lemon Peel – This is used as a garnish and it gives the cocktail a fresh, citrusy flavor.
Bar Tools Needed
To make this cocktail you will need the following bar tools:
- Mixing Glass – This is a staple for any serious bar collection. It is used to mix drinks and create that perfect, smooth texture.
- Bar Spoon – A long handled spoon that is used to expertly mix your cocktail.
- Jigger – This tool is used to measure out the precise amount of ingredients. This is important for making sure your cocktails are always consistent.
- Strainer – This is used to strain the cocktail into the glass. This ensures that you don’t have any ice or fruit bits in your drink.
- Coupe Glass – For this cocktail, you will want to use a coupe glass. This is a type of glass that is used for drinks that are served chilled without ice.
How to Make a Bobby Burns Cocktail
Making a Bobby Burns is easy and only requires a few simple steps:
– Start by adding the Scotch, Vermouth and Benedictine to your mixing glass.
– Fill the mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
– Strain the cocktail into your coupe glass.
– Garnish with a lemon peel, serve and enjoy!
To make the perfect Bobby Burns, there are a few bartender tips you should follow:
– Use high-quality whiskey. This will make a big difference in the taste of your cocktail.
– Be sure to measure the ingredients carefully. Too much or too little of any ingredient can ruin the drink.
– Shake the cocktail well to ensure that all of the ingredients are properly mixed.
– Twist the lemon peel to add a fresh, citrusy flavor.
Now that you have tried this cocktail, you may be looking for similar tasty whiskey drinks to try. There are a few variations that you can try:
– The Rob Roy is made with Drambuie.
– The Godfather is made with amaretto.
– The Rusty Nail is made with and Drambuie.
– For a non-alcoholic version of this cocktail, you can try the Bobby Burns Virgin Cocktail. This version is made with apple juice, cranberry juice and lemon-lime soda.
No matter which variation you try, it is sure to be a delicious and refreshing drink!
Bobby Burns Cocktail Recipe
Bobbty Burns Cocktail Recipe
- Mixing Glass
- Bar Spoon
- Coupe Glass
- 1 oz Scotch Whisky
- 1 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 1/2 oz Benedictine
- Lemon Peel (garnish)
- Add Scotch, Vermouth, and Benedictine to Ice Filled Mixing Glass
- Stir Cocktail Until Well Chilled
- Strain Cocktail into Coupe Glass
- Garnish with Lemon Peel
Final Cocktail Thoughts
So there you have it: the Bobby Burns cocktail. This classic drink is perfect for any whisky lover, and makes a great addition to any party or gathering. If you’re looking for a unique and delicious cocktail, this is definitely the one for you. Cheers!
Do you have a favorite recipe? Be sure to comment and rate this recipe below.
Looking for more Whiskey cocktails? Check out our recipes below.
Whiskey Cocktail Recipes
- Old Fashioned – This is a classic cocktail that has lasted the test of time and remains one of the top cocktails in the world. A smooth mix of bourbon, bitters, and a little sugar to sweeten things up.
- Whiskey Sour – Lemon and Whiskey never tasted so good! See why this is a highly popular cocktails.
- Three Wise Men Shot – Whiskey lovers will enjoy this shot that consists of three different types of Whiskies.