This Lemon Drop Shot Recipe is the perfect cocktail for the Summer and Spring, and for those that like a sweet and refreshing drink with little alcohol taste. Instantly upgrade any party and impress your friends and taste buds with these easy to make and tasty lemon flavored cocktails.
The simple ingredients in this lemon drop cocktail recipe really shine through and create one of the tastiest and most popular shots out there! This shot is a common sight at popular nightclubs and college bars and once you taste it you will know why!
How Does this Lemon Drop Shot Recipe Taste?
As the name implies, the Lemon Drop shot tastes a lot like the common lemon drop candy. This shot is also a sweet drink that is very similar to lemonade.
There is only a very slight alcohol taste in this shot. Be careful because these are super delicious and the lack of alcohol taste can sneak up on you.
Lemon Drop Shot Recipe
- 3/4 oz Vodka (A lemon flavored vodka is recommended)
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 1/4 oz Simple Syrup or 1 teaspoon Table Sugar
- Ice Cubes
- Slice of Lemon, cut into a wedge (Optional)
- Sugar for rim and lemon (Optional)
- (Optional) Wet the rim of the shot glass and line with sugar.
- Add Vodka, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup or Sugar, and Ice to Cocktail Shaker.
- Shake well until sugar is fully dissolved.
- (No cocktail shaker) Combine ingredients into a glass and stir with bar spoon until sugar is dissolved.
- Strain mixed drink and pour into shot glass.
- (Optional) Dip lemon wedge in sugar and place on the rim of the glass.
- Try to add a sugar rim to the shot glass for a sweeter shot and social media worthy presentation.
- Dip lemon wedges in sugar for great presentation and to give the drinker something to suck on after to reduce any alcohol aftertaste and tame the tart lemon juice.
- We recommend a good quality vodka to not overpower the lemon flavor, such as Grey Goose or Absolut Citron.
- For added lemon flavor try a citrus vodka such as Absolut Citron. You could even substitute Triple Sec orange liqueur for a different citrus taste.
- Fresh lemon juice is recommend for the best taste, but prepackaged lemon juice will still be super delicious.
- If you don’t have simple syrup or table sugar, you can use 1 sugar cube or a package of your favorite sugar substitute.
- Don’t want to use ice then just chill and add cold vodka to your shot.
About the Ingredients and Tools
Vodka is a distilled alcoholic spirit most commonly made from potatoes. Although it is highly debated, this spirit is believed to have originated in Poland. Vodka is most often associated with Russia, where it is still the most popular alcoholic drinks.
Vodka is distilled to be as pure and impurity free as possible. This is why the premium and better quality vodkas have little to no taste aside from the alcohol.
For this recipe we recommend a citrus vodka or a premium brand. This will reduce the harsh taste of the cheaper vodkas that could overcome the lemon taste and leave a strong aftertaste.
The two lemon flavored vodkas we recommend for this recipe are Absolut Citron and Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka.
If you want to go the extra mile for this Lemon Drop shot recipe we recommend fresh squeezed lemon juice for maximum taste.
Don’t have time or want to squeeze lemons, while prepackaged lemon juice will still taste amazing in this recipe.
3Simple Syrup or Sugar
For ease of use in this recipe we recommend using simple syrup.
Don’t have simple syrup than no problem! You can use regular table sugar, just be sure to thoroughly mix the sugar until it dissolves in the drink. There may be undissolved sugar at the bottom of the glass.
Did you know that it is easy to make simple syrup at home? Just heat up equal parts water and sugar in a pot until the sugar is dissolved and then cool.
In this recipe, the ice will only be added to the cocktail shaker to cool the drink. The ice will not go into the final shot, so don’t feel the need to use any special ice or shapes.
Slices of Meyer lemons work best in this recipe, but any type of lemon should do the trick.
If you want to make an Instagram worthy picture try adding a lemon twist to the top of the drink.
Cocktail shakers are a common tool at bars and for bartenders. This is one of the must haves for any cocktail lover or aficionado.
Use this stainless steel shaker to expertly mix and strain the lemon drop. Just place the ingredients in the shaker, put on the lid, and shake away. Most cocktails shakers have a built-in strainer to make this an easy cocktail.
Shot glasses come in all shapes, sizes, and materials.
For this lemon shooter it is recommended to use a larger shot glass, such as a 2 oz to provide enough room for the ingredients and lemon wedge.
Every good professional bartender and at home mixologist needs a good bar spoon. The bar spoon differs from traditional spoons in that it has a very long-handle, which ensures it can reach the bottom of tall glasses.
The bar spoon is used for mixing and layering drinks and is recommended to have in any bar kit.
This is an easy tool to get if you don’t want to use the large cocktail shaker in this recipe.
Similar Cocktail Recipes
If you are looking for similar cocktails to this classic lemon drop recipe, you can try these other shot recipes The Flaming Lemon Drop Shot or the best Lemon Drop Martini.